Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Stashbusting Tip - Block Of The Month

I'm still working on my stashbusting Paddlewheel quilt. I will have the borders on by the weekend.

Every January, oodles of online places (as well as quilt stores) start a Block-of-the-Month series. Why not join one and use your stash!? Even better, plan on joining one and quilting it at the same time with either a Quilt as you Go or Reversible quilt options. That way, when you are done, it's already quilted and you just put it together. I'll have to make a decision once the first blocks are revealed. If I want to do a lot of quilting, then I'll have to buy a solid or muslin for the backing. If not, then I have plenty of fabric for backings. Either way, I'll be using Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. (tip, it helps to precut your batting squares and border pieces and just keep them in the same bag. Cutting one at a time is a real pain).

So, in the spirit of that, and getting some immediate use out of my Christmas present (EQ6), I am joining QATW (MSN group) 2007 BOM. I chose a Debbie Mumm fabric that I've had for a few years (heck the store closed and I still haven't used it in a tote bag which is why I bought it!). I plan to primarily use this fabric in the border, but will include small amounts in some of the blocks. I only have a little over 1 1/3 yards, so I have to be creative in carrying it over.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here are my selected fabrics. Backgrounds in front. Some of these fabrics are also being used in another project, but I only need small amounts, so it's not a problem. Note that I have few darks. I'm trying to avoid having more overly dark quilts and using more mediums and a few jewel tones to add spark. We'll see how that goes.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These are the fabrics where I have enough yardage to use for sashing and border fill-in. The sashing is best with an allover pattern, so my best choices are the blue and the goldish/red (on top). Decisions based on yardage...Hah.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: